Dredging at Shaws Bay has commenced to improve the health of the bay, as well as improving recreational amenities for the community as part of Ballina Shire Council's Coastal Zone Management Plan.
The dredging works include the establishment of a large temporary stockpile compound at Pop Denison Park. The compound will be used to process the dredged material onsite and will then be used as clean beach sand to manage foreshore erosion.
Improvements currently underway at Shaws Bay include:
- dredging of the bay
- placement of clean sand around the Shaws Bay Foreshore for erosion control and beach improvement
- levelling and improvements to the foreshore at Pop Denison Park including restoration of grass areas
- creation of an ecological protection area at the north eastern end of Shaws Bay including creation of a saltmarsh basin, fencing and revegetation
- improvement to recreational facilities including new picnic shelters and facilities, seating and new showers
- final path connecting Compton Drive into Pop Denison Park
The majority of works are anticipated to be completed by December 2020 in time for our community to enjoy throughout the warmer months. For more information visit Council's website.