This page includes opportunities to work with the Tourism Team at the Ballina Visitor Information Centre to promote the Ballina Coast & Hinterland to visitors.
The Tourism Section of Ballina Shire Council work to promote the Ballina Coast & Hinterland as a tourism destination. Following are the services the Tourism Team provide that can benefit local businesses:
Ballina Visitor Information Centre
The Ballina Visitor Information Centre is an accredited centre that opens seven days a week from 9am - 5pm. Our team of Visitor Services Officers are on hand to provide friendly and knowledgeable face to face service. Our team are constantly striving to maintain their knowledge of the local industry operators (e.g. accommodation, attraction and tour operators), events and what's happening to enhance a visitors' stay in the region.
We also provide:
- A booking service for accommodation, tours and attractions - increasing sales and securing customers for your business. This also raises awareness of your product both online through our destination website (www.discoverballina.com) and through face to face sales at the Visitors Centre and Airport Visitor Services desk. All you need to do is signup to bookeasy with us to take advantage of more bookings for your business at competitive rates.
- A distribution channel to connect visitors with your business. The Ballina Visitor Information Centre displays DL brochures for tours, activities, attractions, events, eateries, accommodation and other information required by visitors to the region. To display your brochure you must acquire the appropriate approvals to operate your business and provide the Centre with quality produced DL brochures. This is a complimentary service.
- Events promotion - If your event has the appropriate approvals to operate then the Centre can assist you. To have your event listed on the destination website click here and complete the details of your event. Events listed on the website will automatically be included in the Fortnightly 'What's On' programme that is published at the Visitors Centre and online. Events are also advertised through a visual display board in the Centre.
- Resources to help visitors to plan their stay - The Tourism Team always encourage you to send your visitors to the Information Centre, by doing this, trained staff can motivate a visitor to stay longer in our destination. However on the odd occasion you need to provide visitor information, our Information Centre produced Printable Guides detail the local markets, which beaches are patrolled, tourist drive information, what to do on a rainy day, etc. These guides are available for download and you can print as required.
- School holiday activity programme - our team collates a full schedule of local activities, events and things for the kids to do during both the Queensland and New South Wales school holidays. We offer this service free of charge. We distribute a listing of activities and events to local day care centres, pre-schools and schools as well as promote these through the destination website, at the Visitors Centre and by making the programme available to for local accommodation properties to download. This is another way we can promote your business, workshop or event so be sure to send us details of what's happening at your place three weeks before the holidays start.
- Social Media - The Tourism section has an active presence on social media, and it's integrated with our Discover Ballina marketing campaigns and online channels. Like and share with Discover Ballina on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and let us know what's new or happening at your place.
- Local produce store with gifts and souvenirs - the Visitor Centre has a retail shop that is full of beautiful local artisan gifts, produce and a range of souvenirs. We are the only outlet in the area that offers visitors and locals with access to such a diverse range of items to take home and be able share their story of their visit to the destination with their friends and family. These souvenirs are great word of mouth advertising to remind people to visit the Ballina Coast & Hinterland.
Be part of Ballina Tourism Marketing
The Tourism Team are also responsible for the following components that help to promote the destination.
a) Ballina Coast and Hinterland Visitor Guide
We coordinate the publication and distribution of the Ballina Coast & Hinterland Visitor Guide. This is the one guide that provides a visitor with a comprehensive overview of the Ballina Coast & Hinterland. We produced 110 000 copies of the Visitor Guide each edition. These guides are distributed at travel trade and consumer shows; in the Melbourne, Newcastle and Ballina Byron Gateway Airports; Visitor Centres throughout NSW and South East Queensland and local accommodation providers and attractions.
b) Web banners on discoverballina.com
We have over 60,000 unique visitors to our website per annum. These visitors are looking to plan and book their stay within the Ballina Coast & Hinterland. Ballina Coast & Hinterland businesses can purchase web banners on the destination website starting from $198 including GST for visits back through to your nominated website. To have your advertisement appear on this destination website please supply professionally produced artwork in gif or jpeg formats at 300 pixel x 250 pixel i.e. a medium rectangle advertisement. No flash files will be accepted. With every ad please supply the URL you wish the click to be directed to.
100 clicks back through to your nominated website $198
200 clicks back through to your nominated website $275
300 clicks back through to your nominated website $352
12 months of clicks back through to your nominated website $363
c) Advertorial in a Seasonal Consumer E-newsletter
We want to share what the Ballina Coast & Hinterland has to offer before visitors even get here. Our motivational Seasonal Visitor E-newsletter is specifically targeted towards visitors with four editions published every year, at the beginning of each season in March, June, September and December.
The newsletter is distributed via email and includes content such as: new airline services, amazing deals offered throughout the season, event news and upcoming events and local tourism news. It is distributed to a growing national database and includes social media share functions to enable visitors to share stories and links.
Visitor Services at the Ballina Byron Gateway Airport
The Tourism Team have set up a Volunteer Airport Ambassador Program and welcome desk in the arrivals lounge at the airport. Volunteers are recruited and trained to assist visitors with a range of enquiries including everything from where to stay, transport options, where to go and what to see & do.
A DL brochure stand is also located in the arrivals lounge at the Airport and is managed by the Ballina Visitor Information Centre team. It is re-stocked and tidied daily by our Volunteer Airport Ambassadors who greet direct flights from Sydney, Melbourne and Newcastle into Ballina.
Annual passenger numbers are forecast at 500,000+ for the 16/17 fiscal year, so it is a great opportunity to promote your business to thousands of visitors and locals while they wait for their baggage. Display your brochure for the small fee of only $150 (including GST) per six month cycle.
Destination Image Library
The Tourism section own an extensive image library, used to market and promote the destination. If you are looking for professional images to help showcase Ballina Coast & Hinterland in a non commercial manner then apply for access to the library. You may be bidding for a conference to be held in Ballina or a sporting group for example. You will just need to complete an image release form with your request.
Consumer and Travel Trade Shows
We represent the Ballina Coast & Hinterland at a number of consumer and travel trade shows throughout the year to promote the destination and what it has to offer. We also work with targeted trade shows e.g. the Australian Bus and Coach Show to attract coach tour operators with group bookings. Sign up to Bookeasy to collectively distribute your product to the travel trade.
The tourism section collate industry relevant statistics, strategic plans, funding opportunities and news via the Industry Noticeboard. If you are searching for data or want to keep abreast of current news, check this noticeboard regularly, you can find it in the top righthand corner of discoverballina.com
Destination Marketing Campaigns
The Tourism Team execute destination marketing campaigns to attract more visitors from key source markets e.g. Melbourne, Sydney and South East Queensland. We work with local operators and major airline carriers, along with media buying agencies to ensure our campaigns are competitive with other tourism destinations. We tap into available Tourism Funding where possible to promote the Ballina Coast & Hinterland as a destination.
If you have a tourism related matter, require local advice or are a new operator that requires assistance, please set up a meeting by calling 02 6686 3484. Please schedule an appointment so we can dedicate time with you.